A Little Southwood History
The original license for the Southwood Bar was located on 1st Avenue off
of Rt.45 in Mantua. It was operated by Marie Chance. It was in a house and it kept getting flooded out so, Marie moved the license in 1953 to where the bar is today. Marie operated the bar on 1st Avenue for years before marring her husband Joe.
The license was then sold around 1963 to Doris Pettit, a real estate broker. She leased it to Bill Nortabe and then took it back a few years later to run it her self.
Dottie the present owner started in 1968 as a barmaid and a few years later was made manager. Dottie bought the bar in 1985 and operates it with her husband Rich. Dottie has been at Southwood for over 41 years.
Southwood Bar has only been owned by women.